TRACK TALK LIVE: June 2017

Want to build a helix, anchor a shelf layout or build an N or HO scale layout in a small area and don’t know where to start? Those were just some of the dozens of topics from viewers that were explored on June’s Track Talk Live with Steve and Doug. Have a question about any model railroading topic? Get it answered on Track Talk Live!

20 Responses to “TRACK TALK LIVE: June 2017”
  1. Dick

I am rebuilding my layout and in order to maximize layout space I have some walk isles at 24″. I am 180# so I can move withing 24″ OK. I realize that if I ever have some “porkers” checking out the layout, they might have a slight problem. What is the narrowest you have seen for access isles ?

2. Rick Redfern

Still just sitting and observing. Spent many years creating and developing computer assists graphics. for companies like the NFL, Disney, pro sports companies. Am retired and would like to learn more about HO scale

3. David Ali

How would you design a layout 10 feet by 6 feet with easy access for cleaning and maintenance ?

4. Bob

Are these live Tracks Talks usually the last Tuesday of the month or is there a schedule to check online?

• Sam Kirchoff

Hi there, Bob. They are almost always scheduled on the last Tuesday of the month. The only time they wouldn’t be is if Steve or Doug have an emergency or other event pop up. If you follow MRA on social media and sign up for the Newsletter you’ll get sent reminders for when the events are coming up each month, too! Hope this helps.

5. Duncan

I am adding an N scale addition to my layout, what is the best brand of track to use?

6. Jeffrey Cowen

You mentioned young people wanting to do modern trains. Problem is, much of modern freight tends to be a lot longer in length than 1940’s era 40 foot box cars. If you are limited in space so you can’t have a big radius layout, there may not be easy solutions for running those long freight cars around a small radius. Any solutions other than going to a smaller scale like N scale?

7. Bob

Is there any replacement for the old Permascene Modeling Compound. Used to be an easy-to-work scenery material that would hold trees with ease and could be built up around buildings, abutments etc as deep as needed without cracking.

8. Lou

Great show tonight. I’m in the process of building an 8 x 21 foot o scale layout with 4 separate loops all controlled by mth dcs. There are several sidings, but the large scale leaves little room for operation. Any suggestions, way bills etc.

Hello Lou,

I would say that your on the right “track”. Operation doesn’t have to be complex to have fun. I use a switching waybill system on my layout that was originally developed in the 1960s by Doug Smith. I’ve mentioned it on previous Track Talk Live episodes. Let me know if you would like more information.

Thanks,
      Douglas MRA Video Membership

9. Rick Garthe

I am changing a layout from a “circle burner” and block control to an operations and DCC. I will be adding turnouts to the layout. What are the pros and cons to insulated and non-insulated turnouts? Thanks!

Hello Rick,

I would definitely use powered frogs. A plastic insulated frog creates a “dead” spot that may cause a locomotive to stall. Most new equipment is all wheel pick up, but I still like powered frogs. The frog polarity can be controlled by contacts on your switch motor. I like the Tortise.

Thanks,
      Douglas MRA Video Membership

10. Kevin Cox

I am just getting back into Model Railroading. I have not been involved in the hobby since I was a teenager, and boy has it changed. I see that people mention three types of track, I do not have room for a layout at this time, but I want a test track to check on locomotives that I buy at shows or online, what type of track should I use and is there a terminal that does DC and DCC