TRACK TALK LIVE: May 2017

The MRA team of Doug Hodgdon and Steve Doyle (“Clickety and Clack”) hosted the May Track Talk Live at Steve’s “CB&Q/Lines East” S-Scale layout. Viewers representing virtually all of the scales submitted live questions from across North America. Among them, the crew discussed troubleshooting faulty locomotives, DCC-running versus DC, inspiration for layout aspects, tree-making and coloring brick. They’ll hit the rails again at the end of June, so get your questions ready!

31 Responses to “TRACK TALK LIVE: May 2017”
  1. John Durkin

San Diego CA. My NCE DCC system is powering off and on intermittently. Any suggestions to fix this problem.

2. Roland Lawrence

From Denver, Colorado. For locomotives which are not setup for DCC, how do you determine to isolate the motor, so a DCC decoder can be installed. How can I determine if I have the motor isolated?

3. James

First time here…from Ohio. I have several Bachmann HO S-2s. One simple stops unexpectedly and will start again if pushed. Is there a problem with the wipers for picking up the electricity? Should I consider putting in Keep Alive to resolve the problem. or what do you suggest? Thanks, Jim

4. Frank Ayre

I have a Weaver box car and the trucks have broken, were can I get replacements?

5. John Durkin

John in San Diego. N Scale Railroading magazine, May-June 2017 issue has an article on improving Bachman locomotive operation. This may be relevant to the earlier question.

6. Bob

Bob in Saint John, New Brunswick – have MRC sound decoder in Atlas S-2. Horn and lights work – nothing else. Have reset to channel 3. Still only lights and horn. thoughts?

7. STEVE

HOW TO REMOVE THE SHELL FROM A BACHMANN DIESELS SWitcher
    To I stall a decoder

8. Doug

Lov model trains.. Nothing like them. As close to the real thing as you can get

9. John Meyer

you can find Evaporust at Tractor Supply stores, works great for removing rust from O and S gauge track.

10. Bobby

What do think of Lionel Fastrack with Command Control switches for large O gauge layout, 16×40, with multiple trains running on different levels

11. Dale

on a reverse loop is there a way to bypass without a reverse box on n scale bachmann ez track

12. Willie

I’m having trouble finding blue flat paint for my backdrop. I’ve checked Lowes and hobby lobby with no success. What do you suggest?

13. Louis Passariello

In your video you show using these red power clips so you can make fast work of taping on a conductor running under the board. I would like to know where I can purchase them? Thanks

Hello Louis, I think that you’re referring to the crimp-type or “suitcase” wire connectors> They would be available at a hardware or home supply store such as Home Depot. Make sure to get the connector that works with your wire sizes.

14. Jim

I am wanting to go DCC and I see you have DVD’s available. My problem is are they region free to play on any player any where in the world or are they set up for the US only. I live in New Zealand which I think is region 4 or region 2 I am not sure which.

15. Mike Sampson

Great job informing model railroaders world wide. Best thirty minutes anybody attends. When u guys r off the air do u guys perform comedy skits at business.Mike Massachusetts. HA!HA