Track Talk Live: September 2016

Check out the recap of our monthly Track Talk Live with model railroad experts and long-time train enthusiasts Steve Doyle and Doug Hodgdon. Steve and Doug answer your model railroad questions live on the air in this fun, interactive, and informative Q&A.

Feel free to submit questions live during the broadcast by writing in the comment box below!

1200x300 Newsletter sign up

21 Responses to “Track Talk Live: September 2016”
  1. Harry

There are lots of videos and books about track planning and about building benchwork. But how do I transfer a track plan to plywood/MDF sheets to cut out the sub-roadbed to match the positions of my L-girder risers? It’s pretty expensive to cut a sheet and find the curves don’t match my risers, then have to do it again (and again and…). Alternatively, the sub-roadbed will be much weaker and take a LOT more time if I have to cut each piece between risers individually. HELP!

2. Doug Judd

I want to modify the arrangement of domes and bell on a die cast O gauge Williams by Bachman 4-6-0 steam loco. The die cast boiler shell is practically indestructible. How would you recommend doing this?

3. Russ Austin

Electro frogs vs non electro frog turnouts for DCC. I’m building a new layout. What are the pros and cons?

4. Teady

I was hoping model railroad academy would be first to a full review of HO Intermodal
    nobody else has ever done this it would be great if this can be done
    kind regards
    Teady HO Intermodal

5. David O'Dell

I model N scale, and after many years still consider myself a beginner. I recently ballasted my layout. Although the final result is acceptable, it took a long time to get it “right”, even when using a ballast spreader. I’m wondering if other modelers view ballasting as difficult or is it just me.

6. Chris

I have flat plywood for my layout top. What are some good methods to get terrain elevation and variations? I’m not trying to get too steep of a grade over short distances. If I used pink foam board, what are good methods of tapering it to slope gradually?

7. Brent Veleker

Why does my dcc engine suddenly have a brief burst of speed? 3 rail O gauge MTH Commander base unit as controller.

Hi Brent. Firstly, I would make sure that your track is clean and that you have adequate track feeds. There could be a loose connection inside the locomotive or as a last resort, your decoder may need to be reprogrammed or replaced.

Hi Steve. Thank you for your feedback. I will forward this on to the proper department. We appreciate your comments.

8. steven franek

I’m new my space is 16 x 16 I have been purchasing a lot of O gauge trains and track and I want the two outside tracks to go around the double U shape I haven’t built the tables yet and I have no clue what the heck I’m doing Can you help?? I also have a turn table and a round house for 5 to 8 engines that I want to use.

Hi Steven. I would need more information, but to get a decent curve radius, you will probably need to do an around the wall layout.