This first session gives you a starting point for the planning of your model railroad. Two main design approaches are presented and the components a railroad can consist of. Based on that, we create the foundation for your layout design, the Line Diagram. We select layout alternatives, look at different modes of operation and look at Main line design.
The goal with this class is to give you tools and guides to be able to create a successful trackwork – which will provide you with the joy of operation over many years. At the same time, we’ll help you eliminate the most common mistakes in trackwork design.
Your class instructor, Martin Tarnrot, will give you a starting point for the planning of a new model railroad. Different design concepts are presented. You’ll learn about the components making up a railroad and, based on your preferences, we’ll together create the foundation for your layout, the Line Diagram.
We guide you through the different layout alternatives, present different modes of operation and offer alternatives how the Main line can be laid out to fit the operator mode that you prefer.
This class also provides you with tools to solve the tricky part of fitting the layout into the room space you have available. We’ll establish a maximum train length for your different lines and look at basic yard design.
We also provide information about different track systems and guide you through the jungle of rail codes and turnout fundamentals. We walk you through the selection of grades and how they can be arranged to gain appearance and functionality, at the same time avoiding problems.
Finally, we’re making some basic planning decisions, ahead of the implementation of a traffic control software. The basic features and capabilities of a control system are explained and we create the first fundamental component in such system; a block with two sensors on an existing line.
In addition to your video instruction, you’ll get an extensive 30-page Class Guide PDF that you can print out and refer to as you work through the key steps of trackwork. PLUS, you’ll get a PDF Supplement that shows you how to plan for several aspsects of your layout.
- Q: How do I know what the Class covers? A: Every Class has a free Preview video you can watch, to give you a flavor of the Instructor and the skills or project that will be covered. In addition, the Overview tab includes a thorough written description of the Class. And finally, each Class Session has a brief written summary of the content in that Session, including the length of each Session video. You will get a good feel for the Class content by reviewing these resources.
- Q: Do I have to be a Member of Model Railroad Academy to purchase a Class? A: No you don’t. While Premium Members will receive regular offers for special deals on Model Railroad Academy content, Classes are not reserved exclusively for Members. If you buy a Class as a non-member, we’re sure you’d also enjoy having access to our full library of great railroading videos and articles as a Member, so give it a try.
- Q: How do I purchase a Class? A: First you should decide that the Class is what you want. Review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content. When you’re ready to purchase and gain access to the Class, simply click the “Add to Cart” button, and proceed through the Checkout process.
- Q: How do I access/view my Class? A: Once you’ve paid, you can access/view your Class by going to the MY ACCOUNT section of Model Railroad Academy. The MY ACCOUNT link is in the upper right-hand area of the website. Within your MY ACCOUNT, a section labeled “My Classes” will appear, including a link to watch the video of your Class. You’ll also receive an email confirmation after your purchase, which will include a link to view your Class. You can access your Class as many times as you wish, and you’ll never lose access to your Account information. Just be sure to “Log In” for access to MY ACCOUNT.
- Q: Do I have to take the Class right away? A: No. Any Class you buy will be accessible to you always. You can view your Class whenever you want, and you can view individual Sessions in whatever order you like.
- Q: Is there a limit on the times I can view my Class? A: No. Your access never expires. You can view any Class you purchase as many times as you want, whenever you want.
- Q: Can I View A Class On My Tablet Device Or Mobile Phone? A: No problem. Most newer-model smartphones or other mobile/tablet devices with an internet connection are able to play the Class videos. Simply Log In on Model Railroad Academy, and you can view any Class you’ve bought through the MY ACCOUNT section. Or, you can click on the “View Class” link within the email confirmation you’ll receive upon your purchase.
- Q: How does the Class Q&A Resource benefit work? A: Once you purchase any Class, within the Class viewing page, you’ll have access to post a question, comment or tip in the Class Q&A Resource area. This is not a “live chat,” but your Class Instructor and MRA contributors will answer posted questions and provide tips regularly. You can also view other Class participants’ questions and input to take part in this virtual dialogue among others who have taken the Class and are willing to share tips, answers, or ideas.
- Q: Can I print out Class details? A: For any Bonus Material that is a PDF Download, yes you can. Just click on the icon/button for the Bonus element you want, and print with your local printer.
- Q: What are PDF downloads? A: These are simply documents, plans, or written materials that are formatted in a way to print out and retain for reference. By simply clicking on the icon/link for any PDF Download that is included with a Class, you can print that document on your own printer or simply view the contents on your computer/mobile device.
- Q: Are there any system requirements to view the Class video content? A: Your Class video content is best when viewed on a computer manufactured in the past couple of years with a good broadband Internet connection (not dialup). We also highly recommend using the latest version of Firefox, Safari, or Chrome as your Internet Browser, though recent versions of Internet Explorer will work as well. The recommended screen resolution is 1024 x 768 or larger.
- Q: Why do you need my email? A: We need it to acknowledge your purchase of a Class, and send you a confirmation of your transaction. Also, in order to maintain your permanent access to the Class videos, you’ll need to Log In to modelrailroadacademy.com. We guarantee that we will not share your email with any third parties. You may receive email updates from Model Railroad Academy from time to time, with details of new Classes and updates. You can easily unsubscribe when you receive any email.
- Q: Can I get a refund if I don’t like the Class? A: Because you’ll have full access to all the materials and content that is presented in the Class immediately, we can’t offer a refund after purchase. Please review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content.
- Q: How do I contact Model Railroad Academy? A: If your question is about the Class content, please use the Class Discussion benefit to ask your question online – and you'll receive feedback from the Class Instructor. Even your fellow Class participants may jump in to offer tips and advice from their experience. If you have other questions or need help, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll-free, at 1-855-208-7399. Service Representatives will be available Monday-Friday, from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Central time, excluding normal holidays.
Bonus Materials Included
Class Guide PDF ?
Class Supplement PDF ?
Video: Meet Your Instructor ?